Saturday, November 1, 2008

The end is approaching - Rose

Belated Happy Halloween all. No pumpkins here and the heat just doesn't say Halloween to me.
Last week of school coming up. Plan for the last week of class is to show the children a bit more of what you can do with a computer and let them play - games, Paint, watch our Saadani pics.

We saw the Sunningdale group off this morning - AKA "the 10 Anglicans" - what a lovely group of people. Today we have a big day planned - Alex and Emily are joining us for a game of Settlers of Catan, dinner and the Simpson's movie! We are all excited!

Tomorrow we attend our housekeeper Julietie's son's confirmation at the Lutheran church. Apparently Elias is one of 400 being confirmed and it goes on for hours. There will be singing apparently and we are invited back to Julieti's for food in the afternoon. She seems quite moved that we will attend.

I am ready to come home and feel complete about my time here. I do think I would like to come back and would like to maintain some relationships with folks here. But I need to speak Swahili if I am to be of any use.

The one frustration I have is that I have been unable to convert the trial softare on the laptops to a final version and I am unsure why. I can send Sister the software from home but I would have preferred having it all sorted out before I left. I'm wondering if the problem is a Canadian laptop accessing either a UK or South African Microsoft site to download.

I was also unable to set up internet access on the laptops. There is no Future Shop here!

Sally and I head out on Friday the 7th for Zanzibar and 5 days on the ocean before flying home. Time has flown by and the final week will be busy with Leah and Ambrose in Tanga most days at a training.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Rose and Sal,
I can't believe how quickly the time has gone. Before you left I was thinking to myself, "I hope they get a phone soon so we can chat!" But it's already been however many weeks, and it feels (for me) that we just skyped a weekend or two ago. Good luck with the computer issues; you may sort it out yet!
I love you bunches!
rae

Lukas Blakk said...

this is me. jealous that i haven't had any skype time. hmpf. can't wait till you are both back and available for phone chats! xox