Thursday, November 6, 2008

Being in Africa & the US Election

Wow, what a day it was here yesterday. The phone texts were flying early in the morning. Went something like this: Graham - Ambrose - Griffin - Sal and Rose. The results have had a huge impact here. Rose told the teachers during their coffee break. We told all our classes. The response was immediate from everyone: faces lit up, two thumbs up. It is great to have been here for this incrediable event.
I had to say good bye to all the kids yesterday. It was hard. I have developed a relationship with many of them. I have gone from having the children plastered against me to see the computer monitor, to a stray hand grabbing a fold on my skirt or my hand, to having the girls drape themselves over me, link arms and snuggle. They're such demonstrative kids. We all took pictures of each other on Rose's and my cameras, with promises to mail them prints.
Today is our last day in Muheza. Rose went off to school with the boys - her last trip. Tomorrow the boys will miss school and we'll all go to Tanga with A&L. While they finish off their training conference, we'll hang out at the Mkonge Hotel pool until Rose and I catch our flight to Zanzibar.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't know why but your post got me all teary when you described the progression of your relationship with the little kiddlets. I can't wait to hear all about Africa in person. Love you lots!